The Society for the Study of Early Modern Women and Gender is now accepting nominations for awards for scholarly work on women and gender in the early modern period (ca. 1450-1750) published/completed between January 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020. The deadline for all nominations is June 30th, 2020. The deadline includes receipt of all relevant information as well as all materials. Awards will be announced in the fall of 2020.
PLEASE NOTE the special instructions this year for all book categories (highlighted in yellow, below)
ALSO: we know that many conferences were cancelled this spring because of COVID-19, which means that many graduate students may not have been able to present conference papers as planned. We ask, therefore, that you please make a special effort to encourage graduate students to apply for the Conference Presentation Award for relevant conference papers they presented going back to January 1, 2019.
The Society makes awards in the following categories:
- Book Award (scholarly monographs)
- Essay or Article Award
- Editions Awards (critical editions of primary sources)
- For this category, we are seeking nominations for both teaching and scholarly editions. We have three categories for which we may award prizes in a given year. These include: the Josephine Roberts Award for a Scholarly Edition; an award for a teaching edition; and an award for a scholarly edition in translation. Please note: we do not always award prizes for all three of these categories. We ask that all editions nominations be made simply to the umbrella category of “Editions Awards.”
- Graduate Student Conference Presentation Award
- Collaborative Project Award (Edited Collections of Essays, etc.)
- Digital Scholarship, New Media, & Art Award (Web-based projects, exhibitions, concerts, productions of plays, etc. Note: Since such projects often do not have a single date of publication, nominations are accepted for projects operating in 2019 or the first half of 2020.)
- Please see our website for full nomination details: http://ssemwg.org/awards/. Also: please note that for book awards this year, we need three e-book copies of the text OR equivalent PDF copies in addition to the three hard copies (if available) for each work. If hard copies are not available by June 30 due to restrictions stemming from the COVID-19 crisis, we will still consider submissions as long as we have the three electronic copies in hand.
Please send inquiries to the Awards Committee Chair, Michelle Dowd, at firstname.lastname@example.org